Jul 21, 2012

WIP: Cawdor Gang Final Prep

Because my Cawdor gang is small and because I didn't want to construct the elaborate bases I felt they deserved, I decided to go with resin bases. I made an exhaustive search before I settled on Dragon Forge Design's Goth-Tech bases.

I'm really happy with them. They were well cast and required only minimal cleanup. Moreover, I think the bases convey both the grittiness and future-like industrial nature that would constitute Necromunda's underhives.

Current batch of gang members matched up with their bases:






Because these are resin bases, obviously there's no slot for a mini's tab to fit into. This means I had to remove the tab from each model, which you can see I had already done to a few of them in the photos above.

This was as simple as securing each model upside down in my vice and carefully running a razor saw across the bottom of their feet.

Next, I drilled holes into the bottom of each model's feet and then corresponding holes into their base. I did this by temporarily fastening paperclips with a sharp end into the feet holes and then pushing the model down onto the base to mark pilot holes.

The models and their bases attached to corks, ready for undercoating (note, I hot-glued a large washer to the bottom of each cork to keep it sturdy):


It's also important to note that I lightly washed both the models and the bases with a soft toothbrush in cool, soapy water before I attached them to their painting stands.

This removes any oils that built up while handling the pieces during prep work and also removes the release agent from the resin bases, both of which can wreck havoc on a paint job.

Next up: The gang enters the spray booth for undercoating.

Until then, keep painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to receive thoughts, ideas, comments and criticisms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...